Ashfall - the Newsletter of the VIP Division
The VIP Newsletter will now be available through this site. In time we hope to make older issues of Ashfall available here as well.
* Links to web pages mentioned in Ashfall can be found here
The links below will take you to scanned PDFs of older issues of Ashfall
Igneous Rock Associations: a Canadian perspective
At the May 1999 VIP Business meeting at Sudbury the Division decided to produce a series of review type papers on Volcanology and Igneous Petrology for Geoscience Canada. These articles are aimed at the usual Geoscience Canada audience of senior undergraduates and Earth Science professionals who are not igneous rock specialists. The series is modelled on the sucessful Geoscience Canada series on "Facies models" and "Ore deposit models". Each paper will review different types of igneous rocks and their petrogenesis. The series will be coordinated by Georgia Pe-Piper with an advisory committee of Brian Cousens, Patricia Corcoran and Wulf Mueller. Each paper should stand alone, but will be lightly edited for consistency within the series. All papers will go through the normal Geoscience Canada peer-review process.
To date ten articles have been published and if you are a GAC member you can download a PDF here:
- Styles and Mechanisms of Caldera Collapse by B. Kennedy and J. Stix - Geoscience Canada, v. 30, no. 2, p. 59-72
- Stages in the Temporal Evolution of Calderas by B. Kennedy and J. Stix - Geoscience Canada, v. 30, no. 3, p. 129-140
- Large Igneous Provinces (LIPs) in Canada and Adjacent Regions: 3 Ga to Present by R. Ernst and K. Buchan - Geoscience Canada, v. 31, no. 3, p. 103-126
- Ocean Island Volcanism 1: Mineralogy and Petrology by J. Greenough, J. Dostal and L. Mallory-Greenough - Geoscience Canada, v. 32, no. 1, p. 29-45
- Ocean Island Volcanism 2: Mantle Processes by J. Greenough, J. Dostal and L. Mallory-Greenough - Geoscience Canada, v. 32, no. 2, p. 77-90
- Modeling of deep submarine pyroclastic volcanism: a review and new results by W. Downey and D. Lentz - Geoscience Canada, v. 33, no. 1, p. 5-24
- Arc Magmatism I: Relationship Between Plate subduction and Magma Genesis by J.B. Murphy - Geoscience Canada, v. 34, no. 1, 7-35
- Arc Magmatism II: Geochemical and Isotopic Characteristics by J.B. Murphy - Geoscience Canada, v. 34, no. 4, 145-167
- Ophiolites 1: From the Beginning to Modern Times by Réjean Hébert - Geoscience Canada, v. 34, no. 3/4, p. 135-150
- Komatiites by Jarda Dostal - Geoscience Canada, v. 35, no. 1, p. 21-31
Hanauma Bay with Koko Crater in background
Oahu, May 2003
In addition manuscripts are planned on the topics of:
- Archean volcanology review by A. Fowler
- Volcanic rocks of the Atlantic continental margin by G. Pe-Piper
If you are a GAC member you can download PDF versions of these articles from the GAC web site
Please send any comments, suggestions, volunteers etc. to Georgia Pe-Piper.